Welcome to Guideposts How to Tell a Great Story: The Master Class
This new curriculum is a follow up course to the very popular, "How To Tell A Great Story: The Essential Class From the Editors of Guideposts."
This exclusive master class will dive deeper into the mechanics and techniques of storytelling and becoming a master writer, with 17 concise and information-packed modules.
In our previous course, we gave you the tools and knowledge to approach and write a story. Now in Guideposts How to Tell a Great Story - The Master Class your writing skills and capabilities will be fully polished. You'll not only feel more confident in your writing, but also feel empowered and enthusiastic. You became a storyteller in our previous course, now become a master writer.
PITCH YOUR STORY
As an exclusive benefit, Enrollees will be given the opportunity to pitch story ideas to the master storytellers at Guideposts. See below for pitch guidelines.*
With over an hour of video lessons, this master writing course will teach you all the essentials to mastering a great story:
- 17 video modules (captions available) to guide you in your storytelling journey
- Pitch your story ideas to a Guideposts editor*
- Digital Workbook with a summary of main points from each module
- Full lifetime access to the course and its materials
- Free eBook "Called To Write" Download from Guideposts Editor, Rick Hamlin (a $19.95 value)
- Quiz for each module, to test your knowledge
- Exclusive access to our ‘Storytelling’ Facebook group – a forum for writers - moderated by Guideposts Editors
- Certificate of completion when you finish the course
- Instructions on how to submit your story to a publisher for publication
- Compatible in all web browsers
- 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Take the course at your own pace on your mobile, tablet, or desktop device.
- Repeat the modules as many times as you would like
*Pitch Guidelines: One story idea per email. Submission does NOT guarantee that your story will be published in a Guideposts publication. Guideposts editors will respond only to pitches/story ideas at the editor's discretion.
- Introduction message from your instructor. (1:40)
- Quiz 1
- Free eBook "Called To Write"
- Submit Your Story
- Exclusive Access to Our 'Storytelling' Facebook group - a forum for writers
- Learn about key elements of a story you will use take your reader on a journey of change. (1:56)
- Quiz 2
- You will discover the what the integrations of strong characters can do for you story. (3:55)
- Quiz 3
- It is time to think about where and how your characters interact. (3:03)
- Quiz 4
- Dig deep to create a believable environment for your story. (1:06)
- Quiz 5
- Aristotle’s philosophies are still relevant today when it comes to great story telling. (4:32)
- Quiz 6
- How to make the sense of time clear and logical in your story. (5:39)
- Quiz 7
- How to make the emotional and spiritual journey clear and logical in your story. (6:30)
- Quiz 8
- Do you have a mysterious true story? Here’s how to make sure it feels real. (5:06)
- Quiz 9
- Have you always wanted to write devotionals? Here’s what you need to know. (3:41)
- Quiz 10
- You, too, can write inspirational fiction. Here are some tips to remember. (6:31)
- Quiz 11
- Your story or someone else’s story...ideas are everywhere. But what makes a good story? (2:47)
- Quiz 12
- Interviewing people is a skill, and with a little practice you’ll be a pro. (4:49)
- Quiz 13
- Don’t be star-struck! Here’s what to know for a great celebrity interview. (5:26)
- Quiz 14
- After completing your final draft, you are ready to craft a great pitch. (1:47)
- Quiz 15
- In a good story, the reader asks, “What happens next?” This is the same question we ask you! What happens next? (1:47)
- Quiz 16
- Now you have all the tools you need to write a great story. (0:59)
Excellent course, I wish had taken this when I was younger. Of all of the writing courses I have taken in college and over the years - this, as well as first...Read More
Excellent course, I wish had taken this when I was younger. Of all of the writing courses I have taken in college and over the years - this, as well as first Essential Class - taught me the most of what makes a great story. As one born deaf, I appreciate the course offered in closed caption - thank you!!!Read Less
This is an advance modules that enables me polish my previous skills in creative Writing & and Storytelling. It not only opens my eyes to those detail...Read More
This is an advance modules that enables me polish my previous skills in creative Writing & and Storytelling. It not only opens my eyes to those details a Writer need to pay attention from draft, review and final proof reading but also exposed me to the ideas of pitching storyline with the Editors. Persistence is a virtue any Writer need to build into this Vocation until there is a green lights from the reviewing Editor. I am grateful for taking this Advance Creative Writing program of Guideposts Academy from Lagos - Nigeria.Read Less
Many of the concepts taught in this class were not new to me, but they were presented in a fresh and understandable way. I found it very helpful.
Many of the concepts taught in this class were not new to me, but they were presented in a fresh and understandable way. I found it very helpful.Read Less
Your course(s) are inspiring, full of instruction, easy to understand and with step by step ways to apply the skills taught in them. Thank you.
Your course(s) are inspiring, full of instruction, easy to understand and with step by step ways to apply the skills taught in them. Thank you.Read Less
good, helps me understand where to add character or delete character
good, helps me understand where to add character or delete characterRead Less
Edward Grinnan is Editor-in-Chief of Guideposts magazine and Vice President and Editorial Director of Guideposts publications, which include the magazines All Creatures, Mysterious Ways, Angels on Earth, and PLUS. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan and has an MFA in playwriting from the Yale School of Drama. He is the author of the books The Promise of Hope: How True Stories of Hope and Inspiration Saved My Life, and Always By My Side: Life Lessons from Millie and All the Dogs I’ve Loved.
Rick Hamlin is Executive Editor of Guideposts magazine. He has published three novels and has written several books on prayer, most recently Ten Prayers You Can’t Live Without and Pray for Me. He and his wife, Carol, live in New York City and are the parents of two grown boys.
Amy Wong is Executive Editor of the magazines Guideposts and All Creatures. She wishes she could write as fast as she talks.
Colleen Hughes is Editor-in-Chief of Angels on Earth magazine and Senior Contributing Editor for Guideposts annual Joys of Christmas publication.
Jim Hinch is a Senior Editor at Guideposts magazine. He is a longtime contributor to Daily Guideposts and he and wife, Kate, live in New York City with their two children, Frances and Benjamin.
Diana Aydin is a former Editor for Mysterious Ways magazine. When she was just a little kid, she got her first dose of the miraculous. She’s been on the lookout for miracles ever since.
Celeste McCauley is Senior Editor of special projects for Guideposts magazine where she has interviewed more than 100 celebrities including Jeff Daniels, Jennifer Hudson and Kevin James. She tries not to fangirl too much.